1. Study patients medical histories, then meet with them to discuss their complaints and symptoms.
2. Examine or supervise the examination and diagnostic testing of patients.
3. Make diagnoses, and recommend surgery or other treatments.
4. Schedule facilities and medical staff for operations.
5. Perform surgical and noninvasive procedures, and supervise others.
6. Prescribe drugs and supplements.
7. Create postoperative-care plans, and recommend lifestyle changes involving diet, exercise, and other matters.
8. Supervise the education of residents and medical students.
9. If in private practice, perform business functions like finance and management..
10. Ensure accurate and complete recordkeeping.
11. Conduct research and receive continuing education.