1. Working closely with process chemists and control engineers to ensure the process plant is set up to provide maximum output levels and efficient running of the production facility;
2. Designing plant and equipment configuration so that they can be readily adapted to suit the product range and the process technologies involved, taking environmental and economic aspects into account;
3. Instituting scale-up and scale-down processes including appropriate changes to equipment design and configuration;
4. Assessing options for plant expansion or reconfiguration by developing and testing process simulation models;
5. Designing, installing and commissioning new production plants, including monitoring developments and troubleshooting;
6. Optimising production by analysing processes and compiling de-bottleneck studies;
7. applying new technologies;
8. Ensuring that potential safety issues related to the project operator, the environment, the process and the product are considered at all stages.